Friday, July 4, 2014

[Interview #6] Mark Plemmons, Corporia

Corporia!

OK, I'm done.

No, not really.

Mark Plemmons worked at Kenzer & Company for over a decade, co-author of Aces & Eights: Player's Guidebook, Kingdoms of Kalamar: Player's Guide to the Sovereign Lands, plus contributed to Hackmaster and Knights of the Dinner Table and more. He guided over 170 game products through inception to publication while at Kenzer (you can see a bunch on DriveThruRPG).

So, yes, he has game experience.

Recently, he ran a successful Kickstarter for Corporia, an urban fantasy melding the Knights of the Round Table with corporate America.

Brilliant!

And the book is beautiful.

I know because, though I missed out on the Kickstarter, I managed to snag a copy straight from Mark.

You can find more about Corporia here and more on Mark's blog here.

Mark was kind enough to chat with Otyugh Talk and here's the interview.



Otyugh Talk: If you were known as The (celebrity) of Gaming (e.g. The Johnny Carson of Gaming, the Dr. Ruth of Gaming), who would that be and why?

Mark Plemmons: I feel like I'd be "The Ben Browder of Gaming." We're both North Carolina natives who left home for a bigger city and worked on some fairly well-known franchises. Now, we're mostly focused on smaller projects that are still in the same realm of geekdom. And we both like Claudia Black...

[Ed. Ben Browder played Cameron Mitchell in Stargate SG-1 and John Crichton in Farscape, favorite characters in both shows here in the Rubbish Pile]

OT: What was the most memorable positive feedback on your work?

MP: The most memorable positive feedback I think I've gotten was how the HackMaster fans enjoyed the "Chainmail Bikini of Remote Eye-Gouging" magic item in that system's GameMaster's Guide. As I recall, it was just something I invented on the spur of the moment, based on a piece of art we'd received that showed a chainmail bikini top with lots of spikes and points. I didn't think any more about it, but over the years I kept hearing about how funny it was.

OT: How would you incorporate an Otyugh into Corporia? Would it be a weird pet of some Morlocks?

MP: If an Otyugh showed up in Corporia, yes, it would definitely dwell in the city's sewer system where Morlocks can sometimes be found - but it would probably eat any of them it encountered! If I were gamemastering a session of Corporia that featured an Otyugh, it would be a unique - and pregnant - creature that accidentally fell through one of the rift anomalies from another dimension. The Knightwatch (the players) would have to track it down and eliminate it before it spawned, and they would have to use force or diplomacy to deal with the other homeless creatures or mutated humans that make the underground access tunnels their home.

[Ed. Spawning Otyughs is my new band name]



Mark also said "Hey, nice to hear from you. I'm glad you're enjoying Corporia! And the new blog sounds interesting - I'd be happy to contribute." and continued with "Corporia is available digitally on DriveThruRPG and RPGNow, and hardcopies of the limited Kickstarter print run can be ordered directly from me, or in UK/Europe from leisuregames.com."

This is the first of the Marks I've interviewed so please stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Unfortunately, due to spam, I have set up comment moderation. I will review and approve your comment as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.